Society of St. Vincent de Paul Council of Los Angeles
Starting A Conference
How to Start a Conference
The Society is largely a volunteer-driven organization; most of our volunteers (known as Vincentians) belong to groups called “Conferences” with the majority of the conferences based in Catholic parishes (though some are based in schools, universities, community centers and the like).
If you’re interested in starting a conference within your parish, school or community center,
here are some basic steps to take:
- Get your pastor’s or executive’s permission
- Contact the Council of Los Angeles’ Conference Department to schedule a “recruitment drive”
- Ask the pastor/executive and others to personally invite prospective members to join
- Schedule a follow-up meeting for those who expressed an interest in joining (during this short, informal meeting, prospective members will learn what types of work members of a St. Vincent de Paul conference do within their local communities)
- Elect a president and appoint officers
- Meet at least twice each month
- Serve your brothers and sisters in need in a spirit of love, with prayer and meditation to feed you.
If you feel called to live the Gospel through service to God’s poor, hungry and lonely, and to do so with love and humility, the Society may be the home for you. Vincentians realize that they are Christ’s hands, in service to Christ’s presence in the guise of those who are in need.
If you are interested in starting a conference, feel free to contact the Council of Los Angeles’ Conference Department at 323/224-6298 or e-mail us at email@example.com .
We look forward to welcoming you and your fellow members to the family.