For free truck pick-up of your item donation please call our call center at 1-800-974-3571. You can bring your donations directly to our thrift stores or fill out the form below to request a pickup.
Some changes were made to comply with COVID-19 safety measures.
Please call or fill out the form to find out what date is available.
Schedule a Donation
Frequently Asked Questions
How should I prepare my item donation?
Smaller soft goods must be bagged and smaller hard goods must be boxed whether it is for an in-store donation drop off or pick-up. Please separate hard goods from soft goods. For pick-ups, please have items outside on the street level and clearly labeled for St. Vincent de Paul. For the safety of our employees, loose items will not be accepted.
Does SVdP go upstairs or downstairs to gather the items? What if there is an elevator?
- No. Due to liability issues, we do not use elevators or go upstairs or downstairs. Three to four steps are okay if items are not too heavy. Items such as pianos, armoires, hockey tables, etc. must be on the ground level for us to pick up.
- If there is an elevator, all items should be on the ground level before we arrive. We do this as a courtesy to the other donors waiting for their donation pick up.
Does the item donation have to be on the curb or can they come inside the house?
The only items that have to be outside of your house are pianos, hockey tables, or items that are very large. All other furniture can be picked up from inside your home as long as they are readily accessible and disassembled (if disassembly is necessary). We do not rearrange furniture to get to the items you are donating. This helps us avoid damaging your furniture and home.
*Due to COVID-19 safety protocols, we are currently unable to enter homes.
Why don’t you accept baby items?
Baby items such as cribs, playpens, bouncers and car seats among others are subject to recall. Since we do not keep up with what specific items are being recalled, we ensure babies’ safety by not accepting, donating or selling those items. However, we do accept baby clothing, shoes and blankets.
Can the truck pick up food?
Yes, if you have cans of food or groceries to donate please call us at 888.552.7872 and they can advise you if they can accept your food donation.
Do you provide a tax-deductible receipt?
Yes, we provide a receipt at the time of donation.
How do I value my item donation?
According to the IRS, we are not appraisers of your donations; please refer to IRS link http://www.irs.gov/publications/p561/ar02.html#d0e556. This is a discussion between you and your accountant to determine the value of your donated goods.
I have an entire estate, can you pick that up?
We certainly can. Please call our call center 800.974.3571 or 323. 224.6280.
Why donate to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul?
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul is a locally-based organization that provides assistance to low-income individuals and families in need. The goal of the Society is to end poverty. We believe in helping people get back on their feet by supporting them through tough times. In addition to our 2,500 volunteers who meet with people in their homes to help them, we sponsor the following programs:
- Food pantries and soup kitchens
- The Cardinal Manning Center for homeless men on Skid Row in Los Angeles.
- A free Learning Center at our Los Angeles office for ESL and GED students.
- A camp for underserved children in the mountains north of Santa Barbara.
How does shopping at our thrift stores help the community?
By shopping at our stores, you fund our charitable programs and services in Los Angeles, Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties caring for the disadvantaged, poor and low income. Our volunteers throughout the community rely on our stores to assist with the provision of free clothing, furniture and appliances for needy families they serve. A byproduct of shopping at thrift stores is becoming part of the green and sustainable reuse, reduce and recycle movement. We divert millions of pounds of product from the landfill each year. Thrift shopping is good for our environment.
Does the Society of St. Vincent de Paul give away clothes, furniture or anything else?
Yes. Through our charitable works we give away clothing, household items, appliances, beds and furniture. Please call our assistance hotline at 888.552.7872.
How do you determine your prices?
Our prices are set by trained prices with years of experience. The price is determined by many variables, condition, brand, trend, wear, original price, style, color, size, quantity and floor space. Even with years of experience, we can still make mistakes. You are welcome to speak to a supervisor to discuss why the price is marked as it is. We welcome your feedback on our pricing.
Why do you sell items that don’t work?
- We have customers who make their business out of buying items, repairing them and selling them for a profit. We also have a large number of studio Art Directors and Set Decorators who shop at our store who care more about how a piece “looks” versus “function”. As a nonprofit, we have a huge responsibility to our donors and the people we serve to at least attempt to get top dollar for each item we sell.
- We do assure you we test everything before it is put on the floor. You are welcome to test the product before you leave in our tester area.
How is the Society of St. Vincent de Paul part of the green and sustainable movement?
We are zero landfill by diverting over 400,000 pounds of textiles from the landfill. We recycle 800 tons of TVs, beds, metal, paper, cardboard, copper wiring, electronics and we are always looking for other avenues to continue our green efforts.
What should I do with my computer and smart devices before I donate?
We advise you to back up your files and wipe the device by restoring to factory settings. Terminate your service. Remove your SIM card. Call your service provider or device manufacturer for technical support.
If I accidentally donate an item how do I get it back?
Please call our call center immediately 800.974.3571 or 323. 224.6280 and provide the following details:
- Date of donation
- Was it a pick-up or drop-off?
- A complete list, provide comprehensive details of the bags/boxes/containers and all the items that were donated.
Would you pick up our lost and found?
Yes. Please call us at 800.974.3571 or 323. 224.6280 and we would be more than happy to set up an ongoing partnership with you in picking up your unwanted items.
Do you sell items on consignment?
No, we do not offer consignment.
Do you rent items out?
No, we do not rent items, but we do allow rentals of our facilities, such as our thrift stores and summer camp in Santa Barbara.
Items We Do Accept
- Pool tables in good condition. Must be dropped off.
- Arm Chairs
- Beds – day bed, bunk bed, futon bed, etc.
- Conventional type mattresses (no pillow top, Tempur-Pedic or memory foam)
- Bed frames (Complete sets only. No nuts, bolts, or screws. Hook connection only.)
- Box Springs
- Chest of drawers
- China cabinets
- Tables – Dining, breakfast, coffee tables, end tables, etc.
- Dinette sets
- Display cases
- Filing Cabinets
- Headboards and footboards (Complete sets only. No nuts, bolts, or screws. Hook connection only.)
- Sewing Machines
- Patio furniture including umbrellas
- Recliner chairs
- Small desks under 4 ft. in length
- TV stands
- Vanity sets
- Clothing and Accessories
- Babies, kids, women and men’s clothing
- Picture frames
- Semi new/new tires (Only accepted in pairs or set of 4)
- In home gym
- Silverware, baking ware, etc.
- Office and School Items
- Filing cabinets
- Small desks under 4 ft. in length
- Small tables (no conference room tables)
- Water dispensers
- Office supplies
- School supplies
- Musical Instruments
- Baby Grand pianos in mint condition
- Upright pianos and organs
- Drums, xylophones and more
- Sporting and Camping Equipment
- Basketball hoops that can be screwed onto a wall
- Skateboards, etc.
- Bicycles and tricycles
- Bowling balls, soccer balls, etc.
- Fishing poles
- Portable BBQ’s
- Sleeping bags and camping gear, etc.
- Sporting gear
- and more
- Large and Small Appliances
- Rims (Only accepted in pairs or set of 4)
- Gas and electric dryers
- Vacuum cleaners, heaters, A/C units, Iron, etc.
- Vending machines
- Microwaves, toaster ovens, blenders, coffee makers, etc.
- Alarm clocks
- Blue Ray players
- Cell Phones
- Flat screen computers
- DVD/VCR players
- Headphones, headsets
- Table top or desktop lamps
- Stereos (Console models accepted in L.A. County ONLY)
- Flat screen TVs (Console models accepted in L.A. County ONLY)
- Video Cameras
- Book and Multimedia
- CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray Movies
- Books (no magazines)
- Chandeliers, etc.
- New toilets
- Semi/new: Doors, windows, sinks
- Miscellaneous Items
- Clocks, decorative items
- Decorative pillows
- Dishes, cups, mugs
- Pots and pans
- Framed mirrors
- Linen and bedding, blankets
- New or semi-new trash cans
- New pillows
- Exercise Equipment
- Stationary bikes
- Weight sets, etc.
Items We Do Not Accept
- Furniture that needs repair or extensive cleaning
- Floor lamps
- Large basketball hoops that have a water or sand-filled base
- Heavily used items
- Incomplete electronics or appliances
- Broken items
- Stained, marked or ripped items
- Items with pet hair on them
- Large executive desks, large desks with a return (L shaped)
- Desks over 4 ft. in length
- Large copiers/printers
- Baby grand pianos that are not in mint condition
- Baby items subject to recall: car seats, cribs, high chairs, strollers, swings and bouncers
- Built-in items – dishwasher, oven, stove, microwave
- Hospital beds
- Medical equipment
- Console model TVs and stereos
- Electric dryers
- Electric stoves
- Food or medication
- Pillow top, Tempur-Pedic or foam mattresses
- Used pillows, toilets and cosmetics
- VHS videos
- Small items that are not properly bagged or boxed
- Items that need more than 2 people to handle
- Flammable items such as paints, propane tanks, etc.
- Any items that pose a danger in being handled if not properly packaged (unframed mirrors, breakable cups, dishes not properly packaged)
- Used bathtubs
Join Our Email List
Sign up for our monthly newsletter to receive 25% off your next purchase!