HELP MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN OUR COMMUNITY! Please join the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, Los Angeles (SVDPLA) in its mission to serve those in need. We currently have an opening for a full time, Case Manager position in our Social Services Department at the Cardinal Manning Center (CMC) to work in our LAHSA contracted program. The CMC is a 65-bed homeless shelter for men and operates a Drop-In Center serving people in need. The CMC is located in the skid row section of downtown Los Angeles.
The Case Manager will engage homeless individuals referred to our LAHSA contracted Interim Housing Program, and conduct thorough assessments, case planning, and provide case management services, which includes assisting clients in accessing behavioral and physical healthcare, educational, vocational, job search and placement, legal assistance, governmental benefits, and with qualifying for, and helping them apply for subsidized, and other permanent housing opportunities. The position reports to the Program Director of Social Services.
- Be an actively positive and professional representative of SVDPLA and CMC at all times.
- Develop effective, trusting relationships with clients with a focus on facilitating their growth towards independence.
- Respond to a crisis, and provide ongoing, intensive case management services to assigned clients.
- Assist assigned clients in conducting housing searches and assist in facilitating their placement in suitable, permanent housing.
- Provide information, referrals, and social services advocacy.
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation of client information; service delivery; goalsetting; progress notes, discharge plans, etc.
- Network with outside service providers to identify relevant services to assist and support client growth during CMC stay and sustained independence post-discharge.
- Attend community meetings as assigned by the supervisor.
- Participation in supervision, case management, and staff meetings.
- Facilitate community meetings for program residents.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements of the Job
Requires ability to sit at a computer for long periods of time. Job position requires significant time sitting, standing, and lifting and carrying items weighing up to 25 pounds at a distance of up to 10 feet. There may be some fieldwork at times.
SVDPLA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. We shall consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring (Ban the Box) Ordinance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Services or a related field;
- Prior professional experience working and coordinating services with homeless, indigent, and/or low-income individuals is highly desired;
- Experience working with clients and staff in a residential setting preferred;
- Experience with identifying housing, and other relevant client resources, and building effective professional relationships with community partner agencies;
- Experience working within a team of professionals in a social services setting;
- Computer use proficiency required in Outlook, Excel, Word, and other Microsoft software programs; and
- Bilingual English/Spanish language skills are preferred.