• To offer excellent customer service when making delivery to stores or picking up at donation centers and when in contact with the general public.
• To load and unload trucks and trailers in a safe efficient manner.
• To learn and exercise best methods and work practices for safety in loading and unloading materials.
• Report all property damage immediately and complete written accident reports as instructed by the dispatcher.
• To assist the truck driver by watching for obstacles when backing the vehicles.
• To keep equipment in best working order through regular maintenance program and to report any problems to the Transportation Supervisor.
• Follow all directives of dispatcher and management.
• Load secure and unload donated goods, in a manner, which protects both goods and employees (truck helper).
• Work cooperatively as a team with truck driver to prevent bodily and property injury.
• Be responsible for all issued donor pick-up tickets.
• Assist driver with phone calls, GPS or radio use while the truck is moving.
• Assist driver with making contact with donors or finding parking.
• Report anything that poses a danger such as dangerous driving practices, unsafe lifting techniques, etc.
• Assist with duties in the warehouse, store or production as needed.
• Be familiar with the Society’s mission.
• Present a friendly, cooperative attitude to donors and the general public at all times.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Verify that your truck has the proper working equipment such as hand truck, piano dolly, ropes, safety-wheel chock.
• If there are any deliveries on the truck, make sure that they are complete; they are securely and safely tied down.
• Perform a walk-around inspection of the entire truck and look for the following: inspect tires, all lights including emergency lights, parking brakes, lift gate, roll-up door, any leaking fluids, report all check engine lights or any malfunctions of any type on the written inspection report as well as to the dispatcher immediately.
• All drivers and helpers must wear seat belts at all times when inside the truck.
• Perform safe driving techniques at all times.
• Use the parking brake and chock when necessary as well as turning the wheels in or out depending on the parking situation.
• In any abnormal parking situation check in with the dispatcher for approval and make sure you are maintaining a safe working environment.
• When you are at a delivery or donation pick up, always practice proper lifting techniques when loading and unloading items to and from the truck. Use proper safety techniques and procedures at all times.
• Upon arrival to base, park in the proper stall in a safe manner. A ramp must be placed on your truck before you commence unloading. Proper safety technique must be used when unloading.
• The driver is responsible for verifying all the safety equipment of the truck is in working condition and ready to be used the following day before the end of the shift.
Truck Helper Qualifications
•High school diploma or GED.
•Bilingual: English & Spanish a plus.
•Before the start of the shift verify that you have the following: Steel toe boots, gloves, back-support belt. If you are missing any of these items or they are damaged please report this to the dispatcher or the supervisor on duty.
•Perform warm-up stretches before starting your regular duties on a daily basis.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL WORK DEMANDS:
• Requires the ability to rapidly and constantly lift large and heavy packages and boxes and to repeatedly load and unload large boxes and furniture throughout a shift.
• Perform warm-up stretches before starting your regular duties on a daily basis.
• Stoop, kneel, bend at the waist and reach on a daily basis.
• Must be able to lift a minimum of 50lbs without assistance and push and pull up to 100lbs.
• Regular and on-time attendance is critical; hours occasionally exceed 40 hours per week.
Apply for the truck helper position here: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=10735&clientkey=88292E7D0597904B53D0FBF8B9AAA0F7
SVDPLA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Society of St. Vincent de Paul will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring (Ban the Box) Ordinance